Much safer for linemen and Public (reasons listed below)
Primary and secondary compartments completely separate yet integral
presents a much lower profile near roads reducing chance of being hit by vehicles
Secondary Compartment Safety Features:
Touch safe roomier and safer layout*
In most cases low voltage compartment will see only 240V circuits.
Low voltage circuits can be worked on while de-energized. (1)
Multipoint voltage check in secondary cabinet to ensure system condition prior to entering low voltage compartment. Voltage indicating LED with high impedance test points and breaker remote operating handle at the door to ensure circuit is de-energized prior to breaking the plane of the cabinet.
Caution: Ensure all local and industry applicable utility safety procedures are followed
Ensure LED is lit showing voltage is present prior to opening the breaker
Observe LED lights out
Lift dust cover from test points
Test for voltage at the high impedance test point in top left corner of cabinet to confirm no voltage on secondary lugs
Ground secondary to ensure there is no back fed power (alternate generated power from solar panels, generators, or any other sources)
80% of all transformer failures are caused by low voltage events (lightning or fault/surges).
Arresters protect from lightning and switching surges. Units protect core/coil and personnel up to multiple 140kA strikes, vs. more common units good for only one 40kA. The unit does not require a special metal box for personnel protection in case of failure (robust design plus handles multiple 140kA strikes, with a 10 year warranty).
Current limiting breaker protects from high I2T levels (1/2 cycle or less vs. legacy 6 cycle interruption) during fault conditions, reducing potential high arc flash energy levels
Provides personnel and system protection between the unit and load with full range current-limiting circuit breaker, dramatically decreases the I2T should a fault occur.*
Window between primary and secondary to allow visible confirmation of ground connection*
Ground sleeve has separate compartments preventing low voltage cables from coming in contact with high voltage cables.
Touch safe(may be class A which means no dress up to work on product)
Checking this out now
Primary Compartment Safety Features:
- Transformer design:
- Core style design with two coils and one core run cooler and dissipate heat better.
- Designed for longer life with seed based dielectric biodegradable, high flashpoint fluid. 330 degrees C for FR3 vs. 165 degrees C for mineral oil (standard transformer dielectric fluid)
- Dielectric, high flashpoint seed based biodegradable transformer dielectric fluid dramatically reduces the risk of fires and explosions.
- surge layering on the primary winding prevents premature failure of winding due to lightning surges on the high side.
- Warranty void is a high side surge arrester is not used at the unit.
- In case of mechanical damage the partial range current-limiting fuse will de-energize the core/coil in 1/2 cycle or less, thus reducing the I2T value (fault current available to the power section)
- Bushing wells have removable studs in case of a fault stud can be easily replaced for renewed low resistance contact surface.
- Cabinet-style doors
- Allows line personnel to back up and stand back as they open the compartment, avoiding exposure to snakes, skunks, black widow spiders, etc. as the doors swing open.
Lift-up cover with mechanical assist
Lowers the risk of back injuries; lift starts at 30” instead of 8” like legacy doors on sectionalizing cabinets. Think ergonomics and the twisting and lift for standard legacy installations.
Mechanical assist makes opening the cover easy, again lowering the risk of back injuries
- No bay-o-net fuse to pull out of oil and risk contamination of the rubber goods and the danger of compromised cable insulation.
- Partial range current-limiting fuse
- Protects the high side, isolating the bushing junction from the power section protecting linemen from excessive I2T fault energy
- Design is EMP hardened
- Transformer design:
Lift cover provides better access and clearance while pulling cables in during installation
One integrated unit results in fewer trenches to traverse during installation.
Less hoist movement and lifting.